Name:
Location: United Kingdom

A Naija Guy living (and loving) in the UK.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

She won!

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, 29, wins the Orange prize for fiction for her novel about the Nigerian Biafra war, Half of a Yellow Sun.



The Orange Prize for Fiction was set up in 1996 to celebrate and promote fiction written by women throughout the world to the widest range of readers possible. The prize is awarded to the best novel of the year written in English by a woman. Previous winners of this prize are Zadie Smith for On Beauty (2006), Lionel Shriver for We Need to Talk About Kevin (2005), Andrea Levy for Small Island (2004), Valerie Martin for Property (2003), Ann Patchett for Bel Canto (2002), Kate Grenville for The Idea of Perfection (2001), Linda Grant for When I Lived in Modern Times (2000), Suzanne Berne for A Crime in the Neighbourhood (1999), Carol Shields for Larry's Party (1998), Anne Michaels for Fugitive Pieces (1997), and Helen Dunmore for A Spell of Winter (1996).

2 Comments:

Blogger ebele said...

I, for one, am extremely proud of her on so many levels. I'm half-way thru her book and there was a a particular bit where she described the journey to Enugu airport - and it brought back vivid memories as she thought what I thought as a child driving thru the narrow hilly road to the airport. I always felt the car was gonna get too wide for the road or the road would get too narrow for the car!

Reading about the Biafran war also prompted me to ask my parents about it as they were in it. Not sure I wanna ask them again as I could tell my mum found it painful going back there.

It's a story that needs to be told - I don't think enough people tell it and I don't think enough of our generation know about it. So at some point, I would like to ask my parents again - but tread a lot more sensitively.

Thanks again for passing by my blog.

take care...

9:08 pm, June 13, 2007  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors handbags, cheap jordans, prada handbags, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet, tiffany jewelry, uggs on sale, kate spade, gucci handbags, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp outlet, louboutin uk, burberry factory outlet, tory burch outlet, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, christian louboutin, louboutin shoes, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, ralph lauren polo, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, longchamp bags, replica watches, ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet online, nike free, michael kors

2:19 am, October 21, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home