Name:
Location: United Kingdom

A Naija Guy living (and loving) in the UK.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Finally a Real Gooner.


I've claimed to be an Arsenal Fan since Nov/Dec 97. It was the last season Ian Wright kicked a ball in anger for the club, when we won the first of the Wenger doubles, Overmars, Anelka and Petit shone on the Pitch and the Prof (Wenger) started his revolution. I've since avidly followed the progress of the team via Match of the Day and the inimitable commentary of Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson, read Fever Pitch, been insufferable on the many occasions the team have lost games to the likes of Bolton, committed the ultimate social faux pas in wearing my Arsenal T-Shirt to meet my ex girlfriend's mum (she wasn't actually an ex at the time...) and watched the team play twice at Highbury.

A good friend of mine has always argued I'm an armchair supporter and can't really call myself a real fan till I've seen the team play at least 3 times. So I finally went to watch my third game last night, Arsenal Vs Manchester City almost ten years later. It was my first at the Emirates and I was acting so much like a tourist I was afraid I'd look suspicious and get arrested. The new stadium looks great and I am in awe. I've never been a great fan of watching live games in Stadia, because its a completely different experience to watching football on TV (and yes I am stating the obvious here), but the Emirates Stadium might have made a fan of me. Anyway Fabregas scored again and the team won. It looks like we are almost guaranteed at least the 4th spot (anything more will be a bonus), so all in all I've got to say it was a good day...

5 Comments:

Blogger ababoypart2 said...

Congrats...The news about DD (David Dien) is a bit of a shocker...Still

2:31 pm, April 19, 2007  
Blogger Morountodun said...

I'm sure David Dein will be back. He has invested a lot into the club. I must admit to also feeling a desire to resist having the club fall into American hands, but its probably just for Sentimental Reasons...

10:28 pm, April 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say even the queen is a gooner.

6:40 am, April 24, 2007  
Blogger Uzo said...

Step away from the darkside my dear...Come over to where the Red Devils rule...LOL

5:14 pm, April 25, 2007  
Blogger Morountodun said...

Uzo, the red devils used to be the great enemy only the Blues are the team on the dark side now, LOL!

12:24 am, April 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home