Name:
Location: United Kingdom

A Naija Guy living (and loving) in the UK.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Church Attendance & Football

Last Sunday my girlfriend dragged my lazy ass to church. I moved a couple of years ago and haven't bothered to find a church I'm comfortable with worshipping in, and since then Sunday mornings have just been me time. So Saturday night my girlfriend decides we'll be going to church in the morning (yep I'm whipped and I know it!). Since we didn't know where the closest Pentecostal church was we decided to go to an Anglican Church (Church of England) just down the street. Now I pray for forgiveness if this is blasphemy, but that was one of the most boring services I've attended in my life. I haven't felt so much like falling asleep in church since my pre teens. The sermon was uninspiring and the songs sounded like they were just a biology textbook being recited over music. I really need to find me a Church that has service I can feel. You know with the praise and worship sessions that even if you don't know the songs you can just close your eyes and feel the spirit moving.

The second thing that struck me though was how empty that space was. I'm convinced the church could seat over a thousand people, but I doubt if there were more than 70-80 people in the service. I suppose the only way they could afford to pay the Reverend would be through central church funds. No big suprise that Churches are being converted to housing across the country.

Christian Country
In the 2001 Census, 72% of the population of Great Britain claimed to be Christians. This contrasts greatly with the reported only 8% of the population who attend regular church services. Indeed it is claimed that without the rise of Black Pentecostal Churches, attendance at church in the UK would be actually be falling.

Some Random thoughts & observations
Every week during the football season about 700,000 attend live football games in England (just the Premiership, Championship and leagues one and two) and another 1.25 million also watch the live games transmitted by Sky. This doesn't include the reported 4.5 million who watch Match of the Day. Some may remember World Cup 2002 where some churches put up screens for their attendees to watch the World Cup games on Sunday morning, others shifted their service times altogether to ensure they wouldn't clash with the football!. For those who live in the UK, I guess it will prove no big suprise that the figures suggest that Football is more popular in this country than the Church.

8 Comments:

Blogger Scoot said...

football in churches...now that would bring up the attendance!!

2:22 am, June 17, 2006  
Blogger Noella said...

Hey,
Your stories of your Arsenal superstitions had me laughing out loud. I've had those as well, I truly believe that becasue I was boasting so much about Arsenal's unbeaten run to the finals, my pride went before a fall, but this time it was Arsenals fall, and so I have resolved to be more humble next time.
More on the point on this particular post. I could suggest a few churches to you. I don't know where you live in the Uk, so I'm assuming that you are in London. But if you want Anglican that is not boring, and is Full, may I suggest Holy Trinity Brompton in South Kensington, I'm a pentecostal from way back, but I love going to church here
If you want the praise and worship to make you dance. House on the Rock in Euston or Jesus House in Brent Cross are two really good churches.....

10:31 am, June 17, 2006  
Blogger Morountodun said...

Thanks Dilch, should check out one of those spots soon.

11:33 pm, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Anthony Arojojoye said...

Hmmn....football in the church.
People jusst don't wanna go to church again.

It's damn true that this world is coming to an end.

8:15 am, June 27, 2006  
Blogger A disillusioned Naija girl said...

Hmmnn

Could it be that people just aren't bedazzled by the institution of church, and are instead more focused on personal spiritual development?

Going to church isn't symtomatic of being a good person or leading a 'good' life. The world is coming to an end, yes, but not necessarily because people aren't going to some place some person decided to set up (for unknown reasons) in the name of religion.

House on the Rock, Jesus House? I shudder at the thought of ever going there again.

Sorry - just a thought

12:05 am, July 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We never understand worshipping God until we do actually have a personal 'love' relationship with him through Jesus. Your heart has been convicted and your new life in him has begun. Until then most people are in need of the feel good factor a shot in the arm, may as well continue to eat drink and be merry, until something 'happens' to reconcile you to God.

1:09 pm, June 20, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I supposed its a bit like letting the missus take you shopping when the footies on lol Why go ?

1:12 pm, June 20, 2012  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, lunette oakley pas cher, coach outlet, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, converse, coach outlet, longchamp soldes, north face uk, michael kors, louboutin pas cher, new balance, lululemon outlet, coach purses, nike air max, hermes pas cher, nike tn pas cher, vans pas cher, coach outlet store online, mulberry uk, lunette ray ban pas cher, nike air max uk, sac guess pas cher, nike air force, nike roshe run pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face pas cher, nike air max pas cher, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch, polo lacoste pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors, jordan pas cher, nike free, polo ralph lauren uk, vanessa bruno pas cher, true religion outlet, hogan sito ufficiale, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike free pas cher, nike roshe uk, abercrombie and fitch UK, nike blazer pas cher, hollister uk

2:11 am, October 21, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home